Is responsible for setting up and operation of Computerized Numerical Control (CNC)machine and other machine shop equipment and maintaining work area. Performs other duties as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Include but are not limited to:
- Machines prototype or production parts using manual and Computerized Numerical Control (CNC) machines, shop equipment, and precision measuring tools.
- Programs and operates Computerized Numerical Control (CNC) machine to produce prototypes or production parts.
- Sets up and adjusts all machinery according to print specifications and safety requirements.
- Adjust to secure required dimensions and quality on machine production runs.
- Produces samples (first piece) for inspection and inspects production piece parts for proper dimensions/specifications using various measuring equipment and test fractures.
- Completes in-process inspection and places the product on hold/containment if needed. Inspects machinery and equipment to insure proper and safe operation.
- Uses appropriate oils and lubricants according to metal and/or machine specifications.
- Uses various measuring devices or test fixtures and gauges to verify the quality of components being produced. Repairs or reworks parts as requested.
- Provides general and technical information related to products.
- Performs Machine Operator functions as needed; operates and uses various machines, hand tools, and small power tools; including but not limited to: punch press, drill press, sander, tapping machine, spin-o-matic, milling machines, kick press, and other machine shop equipment to produce security hardware products and/or components.
- Reports production delays and quality concerns/variances immediately to supervisor.
- Works from drawings, patterns, templates, process sheets or samples, and written and verbal instructions.
- Operates forklifts, man-lifts, and shop machines as needed to meet production needs.
- Supports new hire training and cross-training of machine shop staff.
- Maintain appearance standards, presence, and professional communication skills.
- Reports building, equipment sanitation, OSHA, and Safety concerns immediately.
- Responsible for assigned production, efficiency, and productivity to minimize backlog.
- Assists in recordkeeping related to job orders/production.
- Begins and ends shift on time consistently and reports delays immediately.
- Maintains the cleanliness, organization, quality control, and safety of the work area.
- Follows established procedures, work instructions, and operational controls implemented by Detex to comply with all company policies and applicable legal requirements.
- Follows safe working practices and wears required personal protective equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma/General Education Development (GED) certificate and 1 year of experience programming and operating CNC machine and machine shop equipment and power tools required. One year of experience in a machine shop manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Skill in programming and operating Computerized Numerical Control (CNC) equipment
- Attentive to detail with good planning time management skills, and willing to assume a variety of machine shop-related tasks. Knowledge of metal properties preferred.
- Mechanical aptitude and advanced skills in operating shop machinery and equipment
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings, and engineering documentation.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations and using precise measuring devices
- Ability to perform detailed repetitive tasks for prolonged periods of time.
- Skills in effectively listening and communicating tactfully verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally.
- Be willing to work weekend hours, and overtime as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push, and pull or otherwise move objects up to 75 pounds occasionally and/or frequently.
- Work involves frequent periods of standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, twisting/turning, and reaching and bending at the waist.
- Visual acuity, speech, and hearing; hand-eye coordination, utilize near and far vision, depth perception, and manual dexterity necessary to work with various materials/objects and operate basic office and machine shop equipment which are essential job duties.