Responsible for testing of existing products and products under development per regulatory agency requirements; participates in building test fixtures for testing products; qualifying products under development; maintaining test equipment and test area and other related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates and conducts product testing of mechanisms as an active part of DETEX product development process
- Test or retests existing products or products under development according to Underwriters Laboratory (UL) or other agency certification requirements.
- Tests products that have reported functional problems.
- Tests competitor products for evaluation comparisons.
- Builds tests fixtures to perform tests on commercial life safety and security products in production and in development.
- Monitors laboratory test processes, and identifies corrective action based on observations and data analysis.
- Provides general and technical information related to product testing.
- Prepares written reports of findings and makes recommendation based on test results.
- Procures materials and tools needed to maintain or fabricate test equipment.
- Maintains test equipment and coordinates calibration or adjusts as required.
- Develop/help develop Test Specifications for Detex DVP&R Testing.
- Communicates testing process and documentation discrepancies and potential
- Suggest opportunities for improvement.
- Maintains the cleanliness, organization and safety of work area.
- Follows established procedures and operational controls implemented by the Company to comply with all applicable legal requirements.
- Follows safe working practices and wears required personal protective equipment.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Associates degree from an accredited institution/college or university in mechanical or electrical engineering technology preferred, and four years work related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and/or related engineering experience.
- Ability to multitask/switch back and forth between assigned jobs.
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering principles, mechanisms and techniques.
- Knowledge of and skill in reading engineering designs and specifications.
- Knowledge of and skill in Program Logic Control (PLC) programs and setting up related equipment; ability to perform mathematical calculations and use Microsoft Office products.
- Skill in designing and testing mechanical and electrical products
- Ability to use hand tools and power tools such as power screwdrivers, drills, wire cutters, wrenches, etc.
- Ability to work on a ladder for extended periods of time
- Be attentive to detail, have good planning, time management skills, and be willing to assume a variety of test engineering related tasks.
- Ability to maintain records, documents and compile and organize reports accurately.
- Skills in effectively listening and communicating tactfully verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally.
- Be willing to work weekend hours, and overtime as required.
- Willing to travel to agency test sites and customer installation sites
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push and pull or otherwise move objects up to 50 pounds occasionally and/or frequently.
- Work involves frequent periods of standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, twisting/turning and reaching; bending at the waist. Indoor/ out-door work environment.
- Visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand eye coordination, utilize near and far vision, depth perception and manual dexterity necessary to work with various materials, objects and operate basic office equipment which are essential aspects of this position.